Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Emotion, memory, & reason

1. Memory connects to emotion, because it can influence a person's emotions. For example, when I first saw Star Wars, I thought that it was an awesome film series. Whenever, I was in the mood to relax and watch a movie, Star Wars always came to mind (and still does). I remembered how excited and adventurous that movie made me feel. As a result, I wanted to experience that feeling again, and I selected a Star Wars movie to watch (I usually pick Return of the Jedi). Emotions can connect to memory because our emotions can warp a memory to be different than it really was. When I was about nine years old, a kid pushed me down and my arm was broken as a result. The kid wasn't all that nice to me to begin with, so I pictured him as cocky and uncaring about what his actions had done to me. However, as time passed, my memory came flooding back, and  I remembered that when I had fallen on the ground, he rushed over to me and asked if I was okay. I was so hurt and angry, which caused my emotions to warp my memory of this kid into something that he was not. That is how emotion and memory are connected.
2. I think high reason is when a human makes an educated choice to solve a problem. Somatic hypothesis is when human behavior is biased by emotions, mostly when it comes to decision making (http://neurorelay.com/2012/05/15/emotions-create-our-preferences-the-somatic-marker-hypothesis/ ).
I usually approach decision making based on morals and emotions. Whenever it comes to a make a moral choice, I picture myself choosing to do what appears to be the right choice, and I hope that I will continue to do so for the rest of my life. When it comes to minor decisions, such as choosing to do my homework at either six thirty or seven thirty, my emotions win out. I want to put it off, so I either read or play video games.  Nevertheless, I would not make that choice unless I knew for sure that I would be able to complete my homework on time. When it comes to choosing between two separate things, I am extremely indecisive and it takes me forever to choose what I want to do. That is how I usually approach decision making.

No comments:

Post a Comment